Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Close Encounter with Child Protective Services

SOOOOOO, we had a pretty crazy experience on the 28th.  For most of Sammy's life, we have always wrapped him up tight in a blanket and we've rocked him to sleep.  In the last couple of days, however, we've decided to stop that and get him to put himself to sleep so we went out and invested in a Pack and Play (Awesome!!) and we put him in it for the first time on the 28th.  He screamed his little head off for about 15 minutes and then finally fell asleep.  Mag and I didn't hear from him until about 3am when he awoke and screamed for a few minutes before falling back asleep.  We were very tempted to go in and grab him and make sure he was alright, but in the end, we stayed put and let him cry it out.
Anyway, we woke up around 6am and Mag went in to check on the boy.  As soon as she got in there, I heard her yelling at Sammy a couple of times and then my name was shouted.  I'll tell you, I've never moved so quickly in my life.  When I arrived, the picture below is basically what I saw.  
Neither of us really knew what to do because he didn't really respond to his name and to us picking him up.  Luckily, it turned out that he was just super tired from not having slept well during his first 7 months of life.  As soon as he woke up a little bit, he was happy and smiley just like he always is.
We were scared to death though and thought that he was covered in blood from ramming his head into the side of the Pack and Play or something like that.  When we saw him, he looked just like the pictures, but he also had 3 huge bloody welts on the left side of his head.  We thought he had died from losing so much blood.
Well, it turns out that what really happened was he had a rotten stomach and decided to throw up all the blueberries we had given him and then proceeded to roll around in it and sleep in it a little bit too.  We felt horrible that that had happened and that we didn't know, but we were trying to be tough parents who make their kids go to sleep by themselves.
We were so scared that something bad had happened to him.  I'm glad he's just fine.  I was seriously shaking for probabbly 10 minutes even after I knew he was alright.  I guess that means that I like him quite a bit, eh?

10 comments:

Julie Barb said...

Oh my goodness! Too funny! How scary that must have been to wake up to that!!

Landon said...

Ha Ha! The joys of parenthood. He has the cutest little face! I honestly cannot believe how big he has gotten.

Angela Baillio (Fernandez) said...

My jaw was gaping wide open as I read this. I'm so glad nothing bad happened. Will you pass along the message to Maggie that I found your blog and that I'd love to hear from her sometime! Thanks!

Katie Aeschliman said...

Kids make you feel the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, don't they? I'd be freaking out a little bit too myself. I'm glad everything turned out okay. He's one cute little baby!

blaser boulevard said...

Memories, memories... Brandon was my barfmeister. I'm so glad it's only blueberries. I thought he had somehow managed to fall out of the bed!

Angie Cheney said...

One of the first nights we let India cry it out she threw up too. It makes you feel so guilty, but you know that had you known you never would have just let them cry. And sleeping good is VERY important, as the two of you know probably better than all of us.

TeamWalker said...

I'm telling him when he is old enough to understand. He will soon be the perfect height to cause daddy some serious pain. Don't worry little Bean, Uncle Barry's got your back.

Natalie said...

okay, next time, let's just not freak all of us out! i had a pit in the bottom of my stomach up until i read the word blueberry vomit and even then it took five minutes to sink. i guess i had a similar response to jordan! ha. man, what a scary moment, short lived, but still! oh man....

Mom W said...

It's a good thing that I am the grandma of 9! I knew this would have a happy ending. Kids just keep you jumping....poor Bean. He's laughing on the inside.....YIKES!

BrittanyW said...

Poor Kid! Those really do look like you hurt him. It was good to see you guys at the shower. Sam is such a cutie! Being parents is sure fun. Keep in touch.